Monday, June 28, 2004

Change...

This question was emailed me to me earlier today:

"Why are people so resistant to change? You do something that benefits
everyone in your department, increases productivity, morale, whatever.
There will always be someone who will resist the change even if its for the
better. regardless of comfort level, doesn't everyone want to move up or
move on?"


My answer:

Wow, I don't know. I mean the first answer that pops into my head is fear. Almost all people have a fear of the unknown. Is this justified? I don't think so. It is a world of survival of the fittest. By being afraid to evolve, you are accepting that others will pass you up. But not everyone thinks on that level. They think, "what about me...today."

You asked specifically about at work. That adds a whole new angle to this dynamic. Jealousy. The people that want to get ahead, wish that they had thought of your idea, and the poeple that don't want to get ahead resent you, because deep down inside they wish they had your talents.

Yes, deep down, most people want to move up. But they are afraid, or blind. They do not see how to move up. Anyone with an average or better IQ can get as far as they want in life. (e.g. the current President of the US.) They just don't see how. If you keep doing what you're doing, then you'll keep getting what you're getting. If you're not happy with your gold game, change your stroke...(unless you have the perfect swing Tiger! then when you change your swing you become as bad as everyone else).

But the real answer to your question is "I don't know, as soon as I figure out how to get the resisters to follow, then I will get into management."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is good. Without change, we wouldn't have cents. And if you can't make sense of anything then how will you make any money. But then again if you don't like change then I guess you don't like money.

~Tony

Mon Jun 28, 02:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Four1Fool said...

I disagree. Remember those little chocolate candy gifts filled with alcohol? The ones shaped like fifths and liquor bottles? It's like that. You definitely love alcohol, but you don't want this little piddly amount; You want the real deal. Take cheesecake bites for example. I LOVE cheesecake, but I don't want your measly little bites. That's like a cocktease.

Hey lady, don't take of all your clothes and then not fuck me.

Ya know?

-Hadz

Mon Jun 28, 02:54:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't doubt the fear theory or that people are jealous, but some people are just comfortable in what they are doing and have been doing for as long as they can remember. These same people are the types that just want to stay in their same position and never move up. They come to work, do their job (the way they always have) and go home. People who want to move up/on do so for either personal satisfaction or money. The people that don't want to move up/on are satisfied with their position in the company and life and normally aren't motivated by money. Just a thought.....

Tue Jun 29, 01:24:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

obviously a comment from someone who has never had a real job, or who is eating sour grapes.

Sun Oct 24, 04:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute