Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mergers....I don't get it.

I can not find any strategic reason why Ebay would buy Skype.

I am confused as to why microsoft is considering buying AOL.

Unless I am missing something either of these moves could prove to be the end to two giants.

I just don't get it....and it bothers me. I like to find angles to things that others miss....but I am stuck here.

The only thing I can think of is Microsoft and Ebay are very scared of Google....even though Microsoft specializes in software development, google specializes in content organization, and ebay specializes in retail. If ebay had bought Buy.com, that would make sense. This doesn't. At least not to me.

Any thoughts? Any links that you can post to help guide me?

3 Comments:

Blogger NewsBlog 5000 said...

Well, as far as Microsoft buying AOL, AOL owns a lot of small but pivotal companies, including Netscape (an IE competitor), Nullsoft (Producers of WinAmp a media player competitor) and CompuServe, Prodigy and AOL (MSN competitors).

Microsoft isn't looking for money today, they will probably lose a lot on the deal. But control of market share equals money tomorrow.


I think the guys at Google buy stuff because they think it is cool. It seems to be a good strategy.

Thu Sep 22, 09:32:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fukin canadian. Thank. What does AOL/Time Warner do that Microsoft has wanted, and been trying, to do for years? Think TimeWarners rollout of digital phone service to integrate with its video & internet service.

Remember the times when you paid one company for local telephone service, one long distance telephone service, one for internet connection, one for cable service, one for a computer, one for software for that computer? Granted most retail system come with windows, but not all. Now picture

one.

thats it. theres your angle. the blues suck.

Sat Sep 24, 09:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Greg said...

That makes sense.

http://www.sc.rr.com/wirelessrr.htm

But Microsoft could have bought other ISP's much cheaper (Charter) or partnered with SBC.

Sun Sep 25, 08:59:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute