Sunday, August 14, 2005

University of Misery Alumni...you are idiots.

I am dismayed. Is everyone stupid? Is everyone retarded? Don't people see their stupidity?

I received a letter today from the curators of the University of Missouri. (They also somehow knew that my sister was my sister and mailed a letter to her to my address because they couldnt locate her in Argentina). The letter addressed a proposed settlement of a class action lawsuit.

You see there is this document somewhere that says that the U. of Missouri can not charge in-state students tuition. Well for a few years they inadvertantly called it tuition, instead of "education expense." Simple semantics.

So what do the bright people of Missouri do? They sue.

But who are they suing? They are suing themselves. IDIOTS!

Let's look at what happens when you sue yourself. You are paying for your lawyers. Your tax dollars are paying for the defendants lawyers. Your "winnings" are coming out of your tax dollars!

Let's say I am entitled to 5k net. my lawyer costs 2k, and the defendant's lawyer costs 2k. Congratulations me!....I just "won" 9k at an expense of 9k...which that expense is to me!....(spread out over a million tax payers).

Plus this spans 1995 through 2001. I would assume that there were a couple hundred thousand students that paid "tuition" in that time frame....(there are 4 major campuses) I don't know how much the settlement is for, but the tax payers of Missouri are certainly going to be losing a nice chunk of change that could have fixed a highway, or used to clean up downtown St. Louis.

Who in the hell is so stupid that they sue themselves? My fellow U. of Missouri alum.

***********update************

Press Release

The letter I received was misleading. The above press release shows that the settlement includes scholarships and not cash. While it is still going to cost the tax payers the cost of the defendant's lawyers, the prosecution, and administrative costs of teaching several thousand people for free...I am much more ok with that that cash reparations.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any other information about this? I was taking classes at UMKC during this time period.

-JR

Mon Aug 15, 10:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Greg said...

I posted the official press release above...I do not have any more information than what the press release says,

Tue Aug 16, 09:14:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just hoping for maybe a website that you can make claims at. I guess I'll call the number listed on the site and request info. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Aug 16, 06:46:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute