Wednesday, November 10, 2004

How do you stand out?

This post is kinda-scattered brained, but I am lost on this problem, and am looking for advice.

When you are surrounded by the best of the best, how do you rise above the cream of the crop?

Each person in the group is very strong, very intelligent, very motivated, well-spoken, driven, and clawing to prove they are the best.

One thing I have noticed in open-discussion meetings is that the people that talk the most and the people that talk the least are the weakest. Its WHAT you say and WHEN you say it, not HOW MUCH you say. But that's all I have learned so far.

I haven't figured out how to rise above the elite. A leader is someone who makes those around him better. A leader is someone with followers. Maybe you try to lead them, instead of compete with them? But how?

Does anyone have any ideas? What would you do? How would you do it? Help me out here.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, scatterbrained response....
I say actions speak louder than words. Put up or shut up, that's how i rise above. Some actions cannot speak for themselves and that's when you do the speaking. You need a way to outperform your elite company while at the same time let them learn from you. You will have to act as if you are walking on eggshells and not botch relationships w/ group members. If someone says something you disagree w/ or pisses you off, u usually remember it longer than if they agreed w/ you on something or made you happy. If someone is a better leader than the rest, watch your back for kniving teamates that will sabotage their way to becoming a leader....a leader that will only lead until it catches up to them. You need to juggle the perfect combination of actions, interpersonal relationships, and perceptions people have of you. A good leader isn't always the best at anything job related they are usually great motivators and get results from people. They lead not do. Sorry for the rant, don't know if this helps.

Fri Nov 12, 01:25:00 PM EST  
Blogger Greg said...

anonymous...thank you. I wish you posted your name. It seems like you know what you're talking about, and I wouldn't mind hearing more. This is the coaching I need right now.

That is the best comment I have seen posted on my blog so far. I wish I could say which idea I like best, but the whole thing is good.

I think you are exactly right. I'll try it, if you want to know the results, feel free to contact me and I'll let you know.

Fri Nov 12, 01:57:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute