Saturday, February 19, 2005

Hockey vs Basketball.

The NBA should be kicking the NHL while they are down! They can steal a majority of the NHL fans (the ones that don't hate basketball because minorities play.). But the NBA is just going about the season as if this opportunity does not exist. They have a chance to monopolize the Winter Sports Season!.

So I sent the following email to Mark Cuban owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team in response to his blog post @ www.blogmaverick.com.

> Mark, there is another way to lose $1B. The NBA is doing it right now. This affects YOUR pocket book. Its called opportunity cost.

How and why is the NBA neglecting to monopoloize the Winter sports season? Why isn't the NBA marketing like there's no tomorrow to steal all the hockey fans that need something to watch?

As an NBA fan and a fan of business in general. I am more disappointed with the NBA not making a huge push while the NHL is down. The NBA is losing more of an opportunity right now then the NHl.



****************************

Mark's response to my email:

i agree.. our guys arent smart enough to grab the chance

thanks, M


***************************

As a related note, I was going to write a rant about the slam dunk competition, but I got on ESPN and saw this article. Which is the exact same thing I was going to say. I would also allow amateurs to compete for the $1M prize. Think about it...the Rutgers Park guys in a slam dunk competition with Kobe, TMac, Vince, Richardson, etc. The NBA is missing an opportunity here.

But the bottomline...I love basketball, and its time for me to go watch some!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the NBA has just tried to reach out to a new demographic by allowing country music's Big & Rich to perform the halftime show at the All Star Game. I didn't get to see it but i am sure it was miserable (because i hate country music). But at least you can view this as an attempt by the NBA to enter more fans into the fold.

I hate the NBA and country music

--Joe

Tue Feb 22, 07:57:00 PM EST  
Blogger Greg said...

Joe that is heehaw-larious.

After Big and Rich played (along with a rapper who I can rap better than!) but before commercial break TNT let Charles Barkley talk.

He RIPPED them a new one. He also ripped the NBA saying something along the lines of "the NBA is retarded, this is a hip hop weekend, not NASCAR"....I was cracking up.

The NBA doesnt realize that it isnt going to attract country folk if they dont know its on, and if it isn't someone big like Garth Brooks.

Opportunity lost.

Tue Feb 22, 10:18:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute