Thursday, August 19, 2004

College

Is college worth the time and effort?

It depends on what you want in life. College does not get you more money. It can't. College gives you an education. It gives you another tool in your toolbelt to complete jobs. Its what you do with your education that makes you money. How many successful business people have graduated college? No one in my professional life has ever asked me about college, or cares what I learned there. But they know I can get stuff done. Its not what I learned in college, its that I learned. I learned how to learn.

Aside from networking, I have not seen anything more valuable in the professional world that the ability to acquire knowledge, and then do something with that knowledge.

So why am I writing all of this? Because I am tired of school. I am frustrated as hell with it. I have been arguing with the Dean for the last week. It is too slow. I have been there a year and have not learned a thing. I could have spent that year learning on my own. I am debating on learning on my own, or finishing school. Since I don't want to regret it later, I am going to go another semester and then re-guage things.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

College is worth the effort. As far as the time- For me yes, for you maybe?(depends what you make of it)? the money- Hell No! It's supposed to be an educational institution but when you look deep down at it, it's really a money making machine for all kinds of industries including one's you would least expect. I will not get into the money making machine part here, if you went to college you can figure that out. If i were running a business and i had to hire someone competent, odds are i would look for a college graduate and so would you. Why? Aside from the normal jackass that can get a degree if they play their cards right, a VALID college degree proves something- That you can persevere and put up with a lot of bullshit. You have built a foundation from where you can move vertically professionally. Is it easy to do this w/o a degree, I think not? Many successful businessmen/women have not earned a degree, but how many have? I'm a numbers man and on the whole people w/ a degree earn more on the average than people w/o one. If that being true i'll take my odds going to college and recommending anyone else do the same. If you are upset w/ an institution for not providing you w/ an education and wasting your time maybe the question is not is college worth the time, money, or effort but Why am i going to this school?

-Joe

Tue Aug 24, 11:17:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Greg said...

MOST millionaires/billionaires do not have a college degree. College causes people to be the same as everyone else. It has to. Everyone is taught the same things. Even their resumes look the exact same.

Do I think college is bad or a waste of time. In my situation obviously not, I've got a couple of degrees, and am now in grad school.

But do I think that college students and most college graduates think that college entitles them to something special? Yes. In reality does it? No.

My stance remains the same. Its not that you went to school, because in the real world noone cares. Its that you can demonstrate knowledge or the ability to gain knowledge. But that is once your foot is in the door. Networking is the easiest way to get your foot in the door, if you don't use networking then a degre can help.

Read "The Millionaire Next door." Then you will clearly see how many successful business people went to college.

As far as my case "why am I even going to THIS school?" Because I will have the same problem at ANY school. I talked to WASH U. (and looked into Harvard). My problems will be the same there too.

Wed Aug 25, 01:43:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
island drafting and technical institute